- Substance abuse is often combined with health problems, social exclusion, discrimination, and homelessness.
And the likelihood of irreversible physical harm becomes riskier with a longer the period of substance-abuse without treatment.
- Quite the contrary of repression or forced total abstinence methods, risk reduction mechanisms have proved effective.
- Provide a multidisciplinary approach in order to fight social exclusion from various angles (e.g. social, medical, professional).
- To protect substance abusers to the most-possible extent, regardless of their willingness to give up drug-use in the short term.
- To keep innovating : Groupe SOS founded the first toll-free substance abuse hotline in France in 1985, as well as rehabilitation centres exclusively for minors.